Follow Along...

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

TAYLORED EXPRESSIONS MARCH STUDIO CHALLENGE

Hey there, it's time for the Baker's Dozen Studio Challenge (a monthly opportunity for the DT to share what makes our stamping studios hum...each month we're asked a fun, crafty question so we can share our favorite products, tips/tricks, stamping advice and more).

The question for March is:
You oughta be in pictures!! 
We all love to share our completed projects with others on our blogs and in on-line galleries.  So, when the stamping ends, the photography begins.  This is a fun step for some, and a frustrating one for others.  How is it for you?  Tell us how you get those beautiful project photos.


I have to admit...as soon as I read the first line, I was a little nervous!  LOL!  I breathed a huge sigh of relief after I finished reading though!  **Confession Time**  (I know...so soon, right!?!)  Here it is...I honestly don't know the first thing about photography!  D'oh!  Sad, but true!  A few years back, I bought a little Canon point and click camera.  It's a Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Digital ELPH to be specific, and it's pretty much fool proof!  Like I said...point...and click!  I do have a tip though...to get those bright, bold colors, set your camera to foliage.  Don't ask me why, but the colors just look better/brighter on that setting.

I looked at buying a light box but never got around to it...mostly because I didn't really know what I should get.  Instead, I went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought a big, cushioned board (it's actual purpose is for quilting).  I also bought some white material (not sure what kind it is, but it's a little on the fuzzy side and very soft, almost like a really thick felt).  I pinned the fabric to the board and use that as my backdrop.  Lighting is easy...I use OttLites!  I originally bought the OttLites for coloring, but I've discovered they work great for taking pictures (day or night).  When I take pictures, I position my backdrop then set a light to the right, left and in front (on my lap).  A light box would probably be a lot better, but for now this works for me!


OK...my process...once I have everything set up, is to take several pictures of the front, several close up shots and several of the inside if I've decorated it and want to share it on my blog.  Once the pictures are downloaded onto my laptop, I'll go into Windows Live Photo and decide which looks better then delete the ones I don't want.  Next up is re-sizing, renaming then editing.

Sadly, I'm horrible at editing too!  *sigh*  I use Photoshop Elements 9 and I REALLY don't know the first thing about it!  My friend, Cami, taught me a little, but not nearly enough!  I've always thought about taking a class at the local community college but never have.  I know the program is capable of so much more than what I use it for!  Because I know so little about it, it can be a little frustrating!  I've got it down to a science though...when I use Photoshop, all I do is adjust the lighting, crop the picture (if needed) then add a watermark...nothing fancy...just the basics!

Well there you have it...I know I wasn't a whole lot of help, but it is what it is!  Ha!  Now onto something that I DO know something about and that's how I made this card!  I stamped Taylored Expressions Daisy Bouquet in Tuxedo Black on Neenah card stock, colored it with Copic makers, fussy cut it then popped it up on a circle Nestie that was sponged to match.  I saw this layout on a card from Kim O'Connell and fell in love with it!  I'll definitely use it again!  The sentiment is from Many Minis - Holiday and was die cut with Mini Tags.  Pattern papers from Bo Bunny and a seam binding bow/black twine bow complete the card.


Here's the inside...a little patterned paper to tie into the front.


COPIC COLORING:
FLOWERS:  BG75, BG72, BG70, Y17, Y15, Y11, Y00, YR18, YR15, YR12, YR00, YG25, YG23, YG21, YG00  VASE:  BG72, BG70  WATER:  BG75, BG72, BG70

Like I said earlier, I'm pretty sure I wasn't a whole lot of help, but I can't wait to check out the other Baker's Dozen blogs to see their set ups and maybe pick up a tip or two!

Carole Burrage 
Charmaine Ikach 
Jen Shults 
Kerri Mchaud 
Lynnette Kauffman 
Sankari Wegman 
Shannon White 
Shelly Mercado 
Stephanie Kraft 
Tammie Edgerton - that's me!
Taylor VanBruggen 
Wanda Guess 

Thanks for stopping by!


SUPPLIES:
STAMPS:  TE (Daisy Bouquet, Many Minis - Holidays)
PAPER:  Neenah Solar White; Bazzill Raven Monochromatic; Bo Bunny Hello Sunshine collection (Busy Bee, Little Things)
INK:  Copic markers; Memento Tuxedo Black; SU Baja Breeze
ACCESSORIES:  Spellbinders (Grand Calibur, Nestabilities Standard Circles Small and Standard Circles Large); TE Taylored Dies (Mini Tags); Stamp-a-ma-jig; sponge; seam binding; Creative Impressions Black Twine; Sakura Clear Glaze pen; SU Dimensionals; adhesive
TECHNIQUE(S):  Sponging; fussy cutting
SIZE OF FINISHED PROJECT:  5 1/4" x 5 1/4"

10 comments:

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Gorgeous card, Tammie!! I loved reading about your process too! For not knowing anything about photography, your pictures come out wonderfully!! :)

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

Hi Tammie! Your card is drop dead gorgeous! WOW! Your coloring is phenomenal...so pretty. I like using Ott lites too. Thanks for the peek into your studio!

Cindi said...

Gorgeous card and your photos are awesome. Thanks for going through your process.

Unknown said...

Your card is stunning, Tam! LOVE your coloring of the daisy bouquet! Thanks for sharing your process. Using a cushioned quilt board is a great idea!

Kerri said...

Whoa, girl! I love those colors and your coloring looks AMAZING!!! Wow, what a gorgeous card! Your photos look fabulous to me:)

Shannon White said...

Wow!! Your Card is just Gorgeous Girly!! And your photos Always look Awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing your process, nice to know I am not the only one not knowing a whole lot about photography! lol.. And I never would have guessed, as your pics always look FABULOUS Lady!! ;-)

Big Hugs
Shannon

Sabrina said...

Oh my what a gorgeous card! You do a lot more than I do after I take my pictures. I am just starting out. So your tips are a big help. Thank you.

Shelly said...

Your card is gorgeous, Tam, the coloring is fab! Loved seeing your setup, you've given me some food for thought. Your pictures are always so pretty!

Broni said...

Ye gads, girl, this card is totally awesome! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! What beautiful colors and your expert coloring is to die for! Thanks for the photo tips today! I use Elements too. Took an online class from Jessica Sprague and learned a good bit!

Marilou said...

As I said on FB, I love this card! It's very pretty and I love the Copic color combo you used to color it!

I pretty much do what you do to take photos of my cards, except I use a few pieces of white cardstock, behind and under, my card as my backdrop. If it's a vintage looking card, then I use lace instead. I use two Ottlites and my Android phone to take my pictures, then take them into Microsoft DIP10 to do the editing, cropping, and prep work. I'm not much of a photographer either! LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...